Hey, did you know that the best way to learn Latin is to stop trying to learn it?
I know it sounds crazy because we’re so used to hearing about memory techniques, the importance of grammar, and all that kind of thing; but while that can be useful, I’m going to share three secrets with you today that are going to revolutionize the way you learn Latin.
I’m Dr Alexander Westenberg and I’m a Latin teacher who has helped hundreds of students learn Latin over the years.
So what is the secret to learning Latin?
It’s comprehensible, enjoyable, input.
So, I’m going to share with you three secrets about input and how you can use it to learn more Latin, more effectively, and more quickly, than with any other method.
And I know what you’re probably thinking: this just isn’t possible, because you can’t learn a language without learning the grammar rules and remembering the vocabulary.
But again, I’m going to show you a great way you can create your own immersion on demand and get amazing results.
So the first secret is that learning grammar is learning about Latin, not actually learning Latin.
The big idea here is that the best – and only – way to learn something is to practice it.
This is important because , and learning grammar doesn’t give you practice in Latin, it only gives you practice in rules about Latin! Not so helpful…
The second secret is your brain remembers what it’s used to.
The main thing to understand here is that your brain can’t absorb something straight away, it needs to get comfortable in it, so you need to give it lots of Latin so it starts to recognise Latin as a friend.
This means it will start assimilating it internally and you’ll start remembering and understanding the grammar and vocabulary effortlessly.
The third secret is you only learn within a context.
The main thing to understand here is that every memory you have is connected in some way to a context; that’s why it’s so easy t remember things from your favourite movie or TV show, but not things you tried to memorise for a test – there’s no context.
This is key because Latin is a language, and like every language, it’s all about communication ideas and experiences. So the best way to remember and learn it is in the context of stories, in the context of real communication.
Now, I know what you’re thinking.
It’s that you need to get the foundations right or else you’ll pick up bad habits and never really understand properly.
Well the tricky thing is that hanging around the ‘foundations’ level is a never-ending task, because real language isn’t graded in levels! That means that there is no ‘beginner’ Latin, and no way to ‘get it right’ before jumping in – you just have to get going and keep going! And so I’ve created this Decoding Latin Membership you can get enough input easily to learn to read and understand Latin fluently, no matter what level you’re at.
The material here is uniquely designed to allow you to read real Latin authors – and understand them – from day one. And so what this is going to do is really motivate you because you’re reading real Latin, and it’s also going to take your comprehension forward in leaps and bounds as your brain immerses itself in the language! And I, as your guide, who has spent the last ten years searching for the best way to learn a language, what I do is I read and listen to it, and just enjoy the story – that’s the secret!
So let me be honest with you: I’m good at learning languages. I’ve tried just about every method there is, and I love learning new languages. I know four languages, and can get by in another four or five..
When people hear this, they usually think that I must have some special natural talent.
But the truth is, I’m not special.
The truth is, I struggled with languages, and I struggled with no language more than with Latin.
But I discovered the ‘secret weapon’ for learning Latin, which I call the Decoding Latin method.
With the right approach, regular reading and listening, Latin can be learnt quickly, easily, effectively, and with enjoyment. And because I’ve mastered the Decoding Latin Method I find the Latin language opening up to me every day, and I greet Roman authors as friends, not as enemy spies writing in a code I have to crack!
So what I’ve done is I’ve created a membership with everything you need to recreate that for yourself.
Here’s an outline of everything included in the Decoding Latin Membership:
- Access to a library of decoded Latin texts and audio (over 50,000 words and growing!), so you can read easily and extensively, creating your very own immersion, and burn the patterns and structures of Latin into your long-term memory.
- A 4-week grammar course, so that when you reach an intermediate level you can consolidate your intuitive knowledge gained through reading into ‘conscious’ knowledge and supercharge your knowledge
- A 10-week class , where I take you through the entirety of Eutropius’s Summary of the History of Rome, so you can see and feel real progress through guided learning, and go deeper into the language.
- You'll immerse yourself in real Latin starting today, and experience the joys of understanding real ideas in a new language.
- You’ll read and understand Latin better, easier, and faster than through any other method!
- Experience a total game-changer, not only in terms of your Latin ability, but also in you mindset and confidence.
- Learn the skills and techniques to learn any language – or anything at all!
- Downloadable pdfs and audio of all material, so you can practice anywhere, anytime!
- Access to all future texts and audio (eventually a year’s worth of readings!), so you can continue your Latin journey to complete fluency!
- Bonus #1: audio (and pdf) of D’Ooge’s 30 colloquia Latina, so you can start picking up some more colloquial/conversational Latin skills!
- Bonus #2: My ever-popular Decoding Latin Grammar and Decoding Latin Vocabulary books, so you can learn to recognize and understand Latin grammar and vocabulary easily!
- Bonus #3: A set of ‘sentence patterns’ that you can go through to decode the structure of Latin, so you can burn the natural patterns and structure of Latin into your mind
The best thing is, I’m packaging the whole thing for a monthly subscription of just $19.99 USD!
If you click the link, you can start learning today, and see the first signs of progress in a week!.
I honestly don’t know how much longer we’ll keep this membership available at this price, there’s just so much value in it!
So sign up to get it today while it’s still available.
See you on the inside!